Health Center FAQs

1. What hours are the Student Health Center open?
  • The Student Health Center (SHC) is open five days a week, from 8:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. Closed on weekends and holidays.Administrative Offices: 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
  • Nursing: 8:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m. (Monday-Friday ONLY)
  • Laboratory: 8:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m.
  • Medical Records: 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
  • Pharmacy: 8:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m.
  • Medical Clinic: 8:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m. (Monday-Friday ONLY)
2. Who is eligible for services?

Students are eligible for health care services in the SHC if they have paid the student health fee for the current semester.

3. How much does it cost?

Depending upon complexity, doctor fees can range up to $250. Laboratory studies and x-rays would incur additional cost.

4. If there is a charge, how can I pay?

Please refer to the Methods of Payment page.

5. What does my health fee pay for?

It pays for the University to employ quality medical professionals, to maintain a first class healthcare facility, and to sponsor an aggressive and progressive education program of health training and maintenance for our students. The Health Service fee, unfortunately, can not take the place of insurance in this era where state-of-the-art medical care can cost thousands for a single test. The Health Service fee is not insignificant but is essential for a viable healthcare program. We encourage all students to avail themselves of the services and programs that your fees fund.

6. Are doctors on campus?

Physicians are on campus Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m.

7. Where is the Student Health Center?

The Student Health Center is located at 112 North Benbow Rd., Greensboro, NC.

8. Do I need an appointment to see a nurse or physician?

Appointments are encouraged, but not required to see a physician. You can minimize your waiting time by visiting the Student Portal.

9. What types of laboratory services are offered at the Health Center?

The Student Health Center offers comprehensive laboratory services to students of the university. These services include hematology and chemistry profiles, STD testing, pregnancy tests, and a host of other procedures. Some tests may require nominal fees.

10. How do I get a Health Center "hold" on my registration removed?

All students, graduate, and undergraduate, are required to submit immunization records and physical examination forms to the Student Health Center in order to register for classes. Once all required information is received and processed by the Student Health Center staff, the registration hold will be lifted.

11. Does the Health Center keep a copy of my vaccination records and how do I get a copy?

The Student Health Center keeps all health records, including vaccination records for a period of 10 years from the date /semester you first entered the university. To obtain a copy of your health records, you must submit a written request and pay $25.00 for the entire record. To obtain a copy of your immunizations health records, you must submit a written request indicating your preference for a copy or fax.

12. Can the nurse at the Health Center give me my allergy shots?

Yes. Contact the Student Health Center Nursing Staff at 336.334.7880.

13. What should I do if the Student Health Center is closed?

In the event of a medical emergency (injury or illness) anywhere on campus, please call 911 and Campus Police at (336) 334.7675. If non-emergency, call (336)334-7880.

14. Can I get my prescriptions filled in the Student Health Center?

Yes, the pharmacy provides pharmaceutical services for eligible students. Students have the option of using the health center’s pharmacy or an off-campus source. Over-the-counter medications may also be purchased at the health center for a nominal fee.

15. Do I have to go to the Student Health Center for treatment first, or can I choose an outside provider?

You can see an outside physician or provider; however, you will be subject to any coinsurance that applies. You are encouraged to use the Student Health Center for non-emergency conditions.

16. How confidential are my records?

All health records are confidential. No release of information is given without written consent and/or a signed record release form from the student including faculty, staff, and parents. (Exceptions: subpoena and medical emergencies)

17. Does the Student Health Center offer Counseling Services?

The Counseling Center, located in Murphy Hall, has professional counselors to assist students with emotional or mental health issues.

18. What if I am too sick to go to class or miss a test because I am sick?

The physician or physician extender are the only ones who can grant excused absences from class. Extended absences from classes for medical reasons are based on individual needs. Refrain from requesting retroactive excuses covering dates/times that you were absent from class and not seen by the physician or nurse in the Health Center. Students should refrain from waiting to be seen through scheduled class periods or examinations unless it is an emergency.

If you have additional questions or concerns, contact the Student Health Center at (336) 334-7880 or via email.