Dependent Information

International Student Dependent Information 

A dependent is the legal spouse and/or child of a non-immigrant F-1 or J-1 student. The dependent would be classified as an F-2 or J-2 visa holder.

In order for a dependent (F-2 or J-2) to accompany or join the F-1/J-1 student, the dependent (spouse and/or child) must be able to provide the U.S. Consular Officer a SEVIS Dependent Form I-20 (F-2) or Form DS-2019 (J-2) and proof of adequate financial support.

The F-1 or J-1 student must complete the Certificate of Eligibility Request Form to request a Form I-20 or DS-2019 for a dependent spouse and/or child. The form is available in the Office of International Affairs and on here.

Adequate financial resources must be demonstrated by the student in order to obtain the dependent I-20 or DS-2019 from North Carolina A&T and for the dependent(s) to obtain the F-2 or J-2 visa from the U.S. Consulate.  For spouse, the primary must show additional funds in the amount of $6,000 USD. For each child, the primary must show $4,000 USD. For those using personal funds to show financial support, you must submit bank statements for three consecutive months showing the capacity of adequate funds for dependent support.

Each dependent will be issued an individual Certificate of Eligibility (Form I-20 or DS-2019). Dependents are also required to have a valid visa and passport and must be able to demonstrate eligibility for F-2/J-2 status, such as proof of relationship to the F-1/J-1 primary.

Dependents Mandatory Medical Insurance

Medical care is very expensive in the U.S. This is especially true when medical insurance is purchased for family members. Students at North Carolina A&T are required to purchase and maintain medical insurance for themselves and all dependents (in the U.S.) during their stay at the University.

As a student, you are required to maintain the University’s Health Plan. For dependent coverage, you can use an alternate medical insurance agency. However, the plan must meet the specifications as stated by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS).

The student must provide proof of medical coverage upon the entry of dependents. (Insurance benefits must be in English and acceptable for use in the U.S. as well as meeting USCIS specifications.)

Dependents Employment Options

F-2 dependents may not accept employment or engage in business under any circumstances.

J-2 dependents are permitted to apply for an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) from USCIS in order to be employed in the United States. The J-2 may begin employment only after receiving the EAD from USCIS.

J-2 dependents are eligible to apply to USCIS for employment authorization so long as the employment is not for the purpose of supporting the J-1.

J-2 dependents interested in applying for work authorization must speak with an International Student Advisor in the Office of International Affairs. 

Dependents Education Options


The F-2 spouse of an F-1 student may not engage in full-time study, and the F-2 child may only engage in full-time study if the study is in an elementary or secondary school (kindergarten through twelfth grade). F-2 visa holders (the family dependents of F-1 students) are now able to study in the United States on a part-time basis. F-2 students may study in either non-degree or degree-seeking status.

An F-2 spouse or F-2 child desiring to engage in full-time study, other than that allowed for a child by USCIS regulations, must apply for and obtain a change of nonimmigrant classification to F-1, J-1, or M-1 status.

An F-2 spouse or F-2 child violates his or her nonimmigrant status by engaging in full-time study except as provided in the above paragraphs of this section.


Currently, there is no written restriction in the Exchange Visitors regulations that states a J-2 dependent cannot pursue a course of study. Until such a restriction appears in the regulations themselves, there is no restriction for J-2 dependents. However, dependents of a J-1 may only attend school, provided the principal maintains status. J-2 dependents are not eligible for on-campus employment with an approved work authorization from USCIS.