Housing Accommodations

Housing accommodations are provided to ensure equal access and equal opportunities with regard to the University’s programs and services. Because of the increasing demand of housing availability, preferences may not be accommodated. All applications with supporting documentation are reviewed by OARS staff.

To be considered for a housing accommodation, you must complete the initial application via AIM and submit documentation from your treating provider that demonstrates the need for a housing accommodation. Documentation must be submitted on formal letterhead from the treating provider and includes a formal diagnosis and rationale for the requested accommodation with the treating provider's signature and license number.

Emotional Support Animals

An emotional support animal is an animal selected to play an integral part of a person’s treatment process. Such an animal must demonstrate a good temperament and reliable, predictable behavior. An emotional support animal is prescribed to an individual with a disability by a healthcare or mental health professional. Emotional support animal (ESA’s) are not service animals as defined in the Americans with Disabilities Amendments Act of 2008 and are not afforded the same access to campus as a service animal.

ESA’s must be approved by OARS. ESA’s are only allowed in the residence hall; ESA’s are not allowed in the library, academic buildings, classrooms, dining areas, labs, work areas, or the student center. ESA’s must always be under the direct physical control of the student. 

Students requesting an ESA to reside in campus housing must provide documentation regarding the ESA.


Students requesting to have an ESA, must obtain documentation that substantiates the need from their current treatment provider that satisfies the following requirements:

  •  Submitted on letterhead from the treating provider that states the diagnosis
  • Include treatment history and functional limitations
  • Include treating physician's signature and license number

Students must also obtain documentation from their ESA’s veterinarian that satisfies the following requirements:

  • Submitted on letterhead from the veterinarian
  • Include the veterinarian signature and license number
  • Verifying the following elements: up to date immunizations as required by Guilford County and the state of North Carolina, species/breed, and if the animal's in good health

Students must also include: 

  • A clear photograph of the animal, and
  • A clear photograph of the cage that animal will be kept in when the student is not in the residence hall. 
Once a housing accommodation or ESA is approved, the student is encouraged to communicate with Housing and Residence Life for further instructions at (336) 334-7708 or by email housing@ncat.edu.  


Please Note: The University recommends submitting OARS Housing application at your earliest convenience, since housing accommodations are a limited resource. You may submit OARS Housing application after the deadline but NC A&T State University may not be able to provide accommodations to eligible students.